March 16, 2012

it's not in my best pinterest


I have a subscription to Teen Vogue, y
es I do. Come on, you know how I love Zac Ephron, and articles on dealing with jealousy from my BFF, and learning how to accessorize an outfit with toe socks and glitter heels. Seriously though, they started sending it to me based on some online purchases for my niece, and despite numerous efforts, I can't get them to stop sending it.

Aside from Teen Vogue, I don't subscribe to magazines. At all. No Newsweek or Cosmo or National Geographic. No Guns N Ammo or Martha Stewart Living. I'm just not a magazine person; seems like a tragic waste of trees. Besides, I have MSN and Google and bookshelves filled with novels.

That being said, Pinterest is the hottest thing going right now. Anybody who's ANYBODY (mostly of the female persuasion) is addicted. I, however, don't get it. I mean, I GET it, I just don't "get" it. According to the Pinterest website, " Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes."

Truthfully, this is the kind of stuff I look at on Pinterest:

To me, Pinterest is the equivalent of earmarking magazines, and passing them on to my best friend, who turns down the corners on the pages she likes and then passes them off to her sister, who in turn marks the pictures and articles that appeal to her, then takes them to her doctor's waiting room for the next patient to read, ad infinitum.

My questions for Pinteresting people are: What am I going to do with 3 different recipes for baked oatmeal? For heaven's sake, I don't even own 3 cookbooks. Why do I need a virtual bulletin board filled with pictures of cupcakes? Does EVERYBODY in the world like Nutella? WHY do I want to repost pictures of furry kittens? And DIY projects??? Get real. I do NOT want to melt down my leftover Yankee Candles and turn them into a dissection tray or sand down the cedar chest my granny gave me as a wedding gift to make my own coffin (though there is some metaphorical significance there.)

I have so many better things to do with my time. Now, somebody please start a Scrabble game with me on Facebook.




4 comments:

Sara said...

I only clicked over hoping to find the "Pain in the 'leg'" post...only to find the Pinterest post. Boo.

Stephanie said...

Hey! No booing my blog. I would love nothing more than to post last night's adventure...but I think keeping my friends might be more important. :D

Sara said...

You're still making me laugh! I just love that about you two.

*Lindsay*Jordan* said...

I love Pinterest. Every single Christmas gift I gave last year was found on Pinterest. Once a month, I go through the recipes I pinned, and write the new ones down on index cards. Now my newly wed house has a full recipe box of good food I can make me husband, and I've already done 3 of the DIY's I've posted and once I get a house of my own where I can paint the walls and cabinents, I plan on doing more...