January 06, 2008

grasping at air

Maybe you can relate: The gear shift in my car in located on the steering column. I guess most are. After you drive a vehicle for awhile, it just becomes natural to reach for the right side of the steering column when you put your car into gear. But every now and then I find myself driving a vehicle with a center console gear shift (usually my mom's Jeep). Anyway, I always reach for the steering column when I start to drive and end up grasping at air and feeling silly. Ironically, I only have to drive the Jeep for a day or two for the reverse to happen. I get back into my own car, turn the key, reach for the non-existent console gear shift, and knock over a bottle of water in the cup holder instead. Okay, so it's just habit and it makes me feel a little silly, but it's not really a big deal.

However, the same problem exists with other items like my curling iron. I use it every day. Keep it plugged in to the same spot. Can curl my hair in 3 minutes flat, almost without looking. I hold the curling iron in my right hand, lift a section of hair with the left, clamp the iron around the end (again with my right hand), and hold the very tip of the curling iron with my left hand as I wind my hair. Fine. Occasionally, however, I use a straightener. Same basic motion, except you start at the roots instead of the ends, and with the straightener you don't hold the tip - you grab both sides as you pull it firmly down through your hair. Again, fine. Until I have used the straightener for a day or two and then go back to the curling iron. You really shouldn't firmly grab both sides of a curling iron at any point in the process. Unless, of course, you are a masochist.

Just an observation and a life lesson I thought I'd pass along.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Ouch! Hope you had some aloe handy.

janjanmom said...

Curling iron burns are just the battlescars of womanhood!! Wear them with pride. It's tough to be a pretty girl!

Lesli said...

I have done the car one!! My mom's car is in the center console & mine is at the wheel. Very annoying. Why can't they all be the same? Luckily, I usually only have a one year old that witnesses it. So, no "real" witnesses yet. heehee

As for the curling iron one, I hope you're ok!! I have done that once. Since I don't curl my hair very often, I haven't done it more.

Anonymous said...

Wow mom. Wow. You cannot be trusted with curling irons, obviously...a story I may share on my own blog at some point...