January 18, 2008

he used to sound like Minnie Mouse

I didn't want a boy. Boys are loud and smelly and like sports and fighting and they almost never look right in sundresses. But, thankfully, God knew what I needed more than I did. Anyway, today my baby is 15. Fif-stinking-teen. I am having a hard time with this one. Maybe it's because this year he looks his age. Maybe it's because he is getting tall. Maybe it's because he is shaving. Maybe it's because he likes girls now. Maybe it's because he has a definitive baritone voice (which still freaks me out a little when I talk to him on the phone, as he used to sound like Minnie Mouse.) Maybe it's because I don't see how it's possible for him to be 15 when I'm still 25. Okay, so 25 with several year's experience . . . anyway . . .

He is the best kid. Really. Not a perfect one. He's king of comebacks, his handwriting is atrocious, and . . . well, I'm sure there is SOMETHING else. BUT:
He is sweet. He is witty and FUNNY! He is thoughtful. He is not afraid of anything. He is easy to get along with. He is not a follower. He is a great worker. He NEVER complains. (This is my favorite "Kevin" quality! No matter what I ask him to do, he is more than willing to do it, and only occasionally does he roll his eyes at me!) He loves to read. He's smart. We like the same stuff, so he's fun to hang out with. (Except for sushi and Hobby Lobby - I said he's not perfect!)

Kevin is an "all or nothing" kind of guy. Always has been. He is not interested in doing something until he can do it right. It's an interesting personality trait, as it is completely opposite from his sister who will jump in and try anything and keep trying until she gets it. Kevin waits until he thinks he can master it, then he jumps in and does. He learned to read that way. Wasn't interested in learning at all, then one day we picked up a book and he said, "Oh, so you just make the letter sounds and put them together." By the end of the day he was reading on his own. Learned to tie his shoes in 5 minutes. Learned to swim in even less. The list goes on and on, but you get the idea. He won't be the first kid to jump in, but when he finally does, he'll do it right.

Kevin, you make my life joyful. I am so proud of the child you have been, the young man that you are, and the godly man you are quickly becoming.

I continue to pray that you keep your eyes on God and that He blesses you beyond what you can even imagine! Have a wonderful birthday - I love you more than life!

5 comments:

janjanmom said...

I second all of these wonderful qualities. He is a blessing to everyone who knows him.

And he loves a good cuddle or hug. heehee.

"Don't touch me!"

Sara said...

We love Kev! I don't know if Mike could work at Reidland if Kevin wasn't there everyday to distract him (play ball, wrestle) while he mulls ideas over! Happy video game playing Kevin!

Sara said...

Okay, you didn't warn me this was a tear jerker! Where are the tissues?

You forgot to mention...He has a wonderful mom.

OUR FAMILY... said...

He is also a great friend! I know that my Kevin thinks so.

And Stephanie, you have done a wonderful job raising him. He is going to turn out to be a wonderful man some day, despite his daddy. LOL just kidding. He definately has his father in him too.

Happy 15th Kevin! We love you.

Kacey Leigh said...

Hehe...I'm just writing this so that when you get your blog published next time, you'll have a record...

This is the day we bought my wedding dress :)

Happy birthday Kevin...haha