December 01, 2008

whatever form it comes in


"Take a deep breath. I smell snow. It’s coming. It’s just my favorite time of the year. The whole world changes color. I love snow. Everything’s magical when it snows. Flakes, flurries, swirls, crystals, whatever form it comes in, I’ll take it. Sleigh rides, ice skating, snowball fights, I’ll even take curling. I love curling.” (~ Gilmore Girls)

I love snow. Did you know? Love it. Some of the best memories of my life are wrapped up in this frozen water-wonder. Stirring homemade hot chocolate. Making snow cream. Building snowmen. Warming by the fireplace. Sleeping late on snow days. Creating snow angels. Bundling up so thick with layers upon layers that you can hardly move. Catching snowflakes on your tongue. Watching the Northern Lights in Anchorage over a snow-blanketed city. Breathing in the ice cold air and watching the whole world turn white. Love it. Love it. Love. It.

We go way back, snow and me.

When I was a kid we lived in Texas for awhile (where it never snows). It snowed. Five inches.

I watched the snow fall on the Chugach mountain peaks the day my daughter was born . . . August 13. Yes, August.

My baby boy was born on the coldest day of the year in 1993. Snowed that day too.

It snowed today. Just a bit. Just a flurry. Just enough to tease. What a perfect way to bring in December. Stop for a minute and watch His power.

God is so good.

I love snow.


4 comments:

Kacey Leigh said...

The only memories I have of snow are as follows:

I was seven. I had a cold. Everybody went outside to play in the snow, except for me. I had a huge, facial deforming fever blister, and I stood with my head pressed against the window, watching everyone having fun without me.

Same day, dad took Lindsay and the boys sledding...I had never been sledding, and I really wanted to go. Nope.

Several years later, after many years of animosity towards that white flaky mastermind of evil, the youth group was over and there was about a foot and a half of snow on the ground. I was about twelve years old and I decided to give snow another chance.
I spent about two hours building the most wonderfully sculpted snowman ever created. Josh Lee knocked it over.

Along with many a wet foot from partially melted puddle, countless minutes of scraping off my car windshield in the pounding flurries, and just the general hatred of being cold, there lie my feelings about snow.

God's glory can be displayed just as easily through the palm trees and the ocean. And need I remind you that even Loralai Gilmore had to have her relationship restored with her much beloved snow, only with a homemade ice skating rink in her front yard. Shoot, I'd even like a homemade ice skating rink.
:)

Sara said...

Glad somebody likes the stuff. I'm not much of a fan.

Lesli said...

Oooh me too! I love this stuff!!!

janjanmom said...

Snow always makes me smile. I try not to let it show too much because Erik feels alot like Kacey does about snow. I blame Josh Lee. No reason for blaming him, I'm just a lemming.