February 05, 2009

i'm not dead yet (read with british accent)

Kevin got his permit today. On my dad's birthday! (Happy, Happy, Dad!) It's almost 3 weeks past due because of our trip to Fayetteville for Tony's surgery, and the world's worst ice storm EVER. However, he took it today and scored a 95 - missed only 2 out of 40. So, we left the Circuit Court Building, a smile on his face and a shiny warm permit in his duct-tape wallet, and he took the driver's seat.

And then I yelled. For maybe the first time since . . . well, since the last time I yelled. Which was a long time ago. Seriously. Like 1998.

Did Kacey just have better beginner's instincts, or was I just MUCH more patient 6 1/2 years ago? I'm guessing the latter.

And though he got off to a rocky start (apologies to the lady in the white van who honked at us because we gave her whiplash), by the time we made it home (3 furniture store stops, and 2 near-death experiences later) he was starting to get a feel for it. He said it was the longest 20 minutes of his life. HIS life?

He has no idea.

5 comments:

MichaelPolutta said...

And I get to look forward to this next year. YIKES!

I'm glad you're thawing.

Stephanie said...

Thanks!

Now, BLOG!

MichaelPolutta said...

Done.

Sara said...

That's hilarious. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about his duct tape wallet before. Sounds like Philip. And, by the way, Kevin on the roads has nothing to do with why we're leaving the state tomorrow. I promise.

OUR FAMILY... said...

And so it begins... first Bradley, then Kevin, then my Kevin, and lastly John Mark. I'm thinking about buying a tanker! They are much bigger and safer. Especially with the 4 of them on the road.
I can already feel the grey hairs!