November 23, 2011

that which we call a rose ...

We've had a cat named "Puppy".

A cow called (Hamburger) "Patty" and her offspring, "Slider". And two calves christened "Norman" and "Mailer".

I have a pair of stuffed animal raccoons from high school dubbed "Smokey" and "Bandit".

My iPod is named "Soma" after the addictive drug in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. Kevin has named his "Life Support".

My daughter received her first Barbie (against my wishes) for her 4th birthday. She could have named her Buffy or Ariel or Jessica, but instead, she chose the prettiest name she knew: "Leonard".

We have had the following vehicles:
"Stella!!!" (Kacey's 'regal' Buick)
"Tank the Sable Tooth" (my old 1992 white Mercury)
"Fiona" (the green monster Taurus)
"Armadillo", Kevin's little gray Dodge roadkill
And, of course, "Eddie van Honda"

My lovely children answer to the nicknames "Daughter-Face" and "Kevie-Poo".

But of all the weirdly-named things in our little world, my favorite of all was Kevin's first Beanie Baby. It was a lobster, which, at the age of 5 he pronounced "lomster" and branded it with this biggest word in his little vocabulary: APPARENTLY.
Apparently the Lomster.



Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less. One is always living a little more or dying a little bit. ~Norman Mailer

No comments: