January 22, 2011

it's not the end of the road



For the last 14 years, a print entitled, "End of the Alley" has hung in my house. I fell in love with this picture, I think because it reminds me of a print my mom had when I was growing up. Whatever the reason, I spent my birthday money on it back in the late 90's and hung it where it would get the most viewing: the wall behind the toilet.

Day 20 of this year's quest to get rid of one item a day led me to this picture. While I still love it dearly, it is woefully dated and needs to go. I took it off the wall behind the toilet and put it in the "January box".


A couple of days later my husband announced he was having urinary issues. "What's the problem?" I asked. "Well," he said, "for years I have been peeing at the 'End of the Alley' and now I don't know where I'm supposed to pee."


Today, as my son was celebrating his snow day by helping me pack up the January box, he too mourned the loss of the print that has hung in our bathroom since he was in Pull-Ups. "Don't you like it anymore? Cause I think it's kinda cool." And I admitted that I really do still like it, but the frame makes it look out of style. "Maybe I could reframe it and hang it in the bedroom."


"You COULD reframe it," he said, "but be careful hanging it in the bedroom. Dad may still try to pee at the 'End of the Alley'."


Good call, Kev. Good call.

3 comments:

SZM said...

Ha Ha! Great sense of humor your son has!

janjanmom said...

Shouldn't the time on your phone be 10:24?

Recycling an old item into a new one still totally counts as tossing in a 'sort of' kind of way. After all, if you don't toss it, but remodel it, you won't be buying more stuff which is the purpose behind the toss anyway. No purchase=Less stuff, right?

I hope I never meet Kevin or Greg in an alley.

HW said...

If you still love the print, I'd reframe it. It'll look like a completely new piece of art. I've been slowly reframing some of my favorites and it's amazing how it changes the space.

Having said that - if you really want to get rid of it, can I have it?